Wednesday 5 October 2011

It's Raining In My House

We had another week of sickness but I finally have my allergies under control and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jackson's ear infection does not flare up again.  Jackson had his first trip to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago after falling in the bath.  He cut open his forehead, but luckily some friends came over just after the incident and taped it up, so the doctor said he wouldn't need stitches.  It is healing nicely and I'm hoping there won't be much of a scar.  Miranda has been injuring herself a lot lately, it's starting to be a bit like the little boy who cried wolf.  She's full of bruises and scrapes after falling outside on the rocks, getting a blister at preschool and tripping over a friend, then falling down the stairs because she was hopping down to try to favor one of her injuries.  I've heard the word 'ow-wee' so many times this past week I'm immune to it.

The air basically has 2 smells:  flowers, or poop/sewer/trash.  It all depends on which way the wind blows.  Since it is spring here, all the flowers are starting to bloom and there are a lot!  It's very beautiful and the weather is outstanding.  I'm wondering if it will ever get hot enough to use the pool.

My dad arrived safely with all his luggage.  He adjusted well to the time change and was able to get over his jet-lag in only 2 days.  About 15 hours after his arrival, we had Jackson's 1st birthday party at our house.  We celebrated with about 40 friends and neighbors and Jackson performed well when  it was time for him to smash his cake.  The kids had fun on the jumping castle and running around the yard.  I made 2 batches of cupcakes and ordered trays of fruit, cheese, and breakfast breads from a local grocery.  I think it all went perfectly!

My dad brought with him the rainy season.  Saturday we got our first downpour, along with some hail, and then our roof started leaking.  It was like is was raining in my house because we would just walk around and get dripped on.  There are about 7 spots in the roof that are leaking, one in each room.  We strategically placed about 14 containers around to catch the drips.  They were used again the next night when it decided to storm again.  I'm glad we don't have to pay to get them fixed!

Our trip to Durban is being postponed until November because there just wasn't a time where it was going to work out.  We plan on doing all the local touristy-stuff while my dad is here, and there is a lot.  We've done a bit of shopping and he is becoming familiar with the parking lot attendants who help you find a spot.  I don't know how I'm going to back out of a parking spot without someone guiding me when I get home.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment